From The Keeper's Cookbook - Potato Salad


Today I want to get back to some old-fashioned home made goodness and share one of my favorite recipes with you, Potato Salad!

I'm sure you already have this one covered with your family favorite, but in my book you can never have too many varieties of ways to make this popular, versatile dish. Just yesterday I came across this recipe for Bacon Horseradish Potato Salad and I bookmarked it so I can try it out this summer! I think it would pair beautifully with steaks cooked on the grill!

My recipe isn't anything near as fancy, in fact its pretty simple and no fuss with very few ingredients, but my mother always raved about it and any time we had a family get together, she insisted that I bring the potato salad. Maybe it's the yukon gold potatoes (a must!), the Hellman's Mayonnaise (No substitute!) the fact that I only use sweet pickles, or my ratio of mayo to mustard (I'm not big on mustard!), but honestly, I think its' the dash of sugar I add at the very end that sets it apart. All I know is that I've never served this and had anyone turn it down, and they usually ask for seconds!

This is my go-to side dish served with hamburgers, hot dogs and barbecue, perfect for a cookout!

3 lbs. yukon gold potatoes
1 tsp. salt
1/2 to 3/4 cup *Hellman’s Mayonnaise
2 tsps.yellow mustard
4-6 mini sweet pickles, chopped
1/2 small onion, chopped fine/minced
2 tsps. sugar
Salt to taste.

*Must be Hellman’s to achieve desired taste.

Peel, wash, and chop your potatoes into one inch cubes. Rinse with cool water in a colander to remove excess starch. Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add 1 tsp of salt to the water and bring it to a boil over high heat. Boil the potatoes until they are tender (about ten minutes). Pierce the potatoes with a fork to make sure they are tender, then drain in a colander. Briefly rinse with cool water to cool the potatoes.

When slightly cooled, add all mayo and mustard and mix to coat. Mix in onions and sweet pickles. Add sugar and salt and mix thoroughly. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.

If you don't already have a tried and true stand-by, give this one a try, and if you do, let me know how you liked it!

Until then . . .

Comments